Ocean Azores Foundation
9 Islands. 1 Ocean.
The Ocean Azores Foundation works to fund ocean based research and conservation projects based on all islands of the Azores.
The Solar Branco Eco Estate is a proud socially responsible business. As part of our commitment to the environment and to the Azores where we live we have created The Ocean Azores Foundation. It is early days as we build our hotel but we aim to start in the right way and move forwards step by step with our hotel as well as the environment around us.
The Ocean Azores Foundation will look to fund ocean based research and conservation projects based on all islands of the Azores. While it is currently a work in progress the aims are to give back to the community and environment that we now call home. Funding will come from sales of Baleia Gin, as well as guest donations, donations from the Solar Branco Eco Estate as well as events hosted on the grounds.
Our goals are to:
- Provide opportunities for ocean based research
- Promote the development of sustainable tourism in the Azores
- Engage tourists and the local community in the protection of the ocean
- Support initiatives to reduce ocean plastic
We will work towards achieving these objectives by:
- Investing our resources in selected community projects that are well-run and that will drive lasting social change
- Funding multi-year partnerships with our partners
- Providing funding for organisations that promote marine sustainability and sustainable tourism
- Sharing with our stakeholders and the community the outcomes of the projects we support
Projects started or under consideration include:
- Whale Heritage Site (WHS) – World Cetacean Alliance
- ORCA Surveyor Network – ORCA
- Research project Azores – OCEANA.ORG
- The Serge Viallelle Initiative – Espaço Talassa
- Beach Clean-up program Azores – Tidy Shark
- Smart Ocean Planning – The Ocean Conservancy
- Ambassador program – Green Stays Portugal
- Swimming with dolphins – Nova Atlantis Foundation
- Ocean Azores – Volunteer Group
Interested partners are welcome to read more about The Ocean Azores Foundation here
The Ocean Azores Foundation Board oversees the operation and governance of the Foundation, which includes approving strategic grants, reviewing the Foundation’s activities and establishing and monitoring strategy. The work and decisions of the Ocean Azores Foundation are the responsibility of the Ocean Azores Foundation Board and are undertaken independently of the commercial interests of Solar Branco Limited.
The Board consists of five members:
- Ali Bullock (Chair)
The Advisory Board will assist in the identification of projects that are in line with the Ocean Azores Foundation strategy in order to help facilitate the Foundation to achieve its goals.
The Advisory Board will provide strategic assistance to the Board regarding grant allocations, the structure of the grants and assist in the vetting of applicants and providing a source of expert advice when required.
With thanks to the following volunteers, companies, organisations and photographers who help to make the Ocean Azores Foundation a reality.