The Whale Suite is the largest room in the main house, with a total area of 52sqm. The generous open plan bedroom and lounge has 2 south facing windows, with views of the green hills and Atlantic Ocean beyond.
A 180cm (6 foot) wide king size bed awaits you, with a sumptuous mattress made from all-natural material, and luxury cotton bed linen, to help regulate body temperature and ensure a comfortable night’s sleep.
The floors are made of natural wood. The doors, window frames and kitchen cabinets are in a sea blue tone, celebrating the Atlantic Ocean.
There is a separate kitchen, and small terrace with ocean views. The kitchen is fitted with a microwave, hob, sink and fridge and has a raw edge wooden dining table made by a local artisan, and 2 dining chairs . Your fridge is restocked daily with complimentary local beers, soft drinks and water, and you also have tea and coffee making facilities on hand.
Your bathroom has high end fittings, with WC, sink and rain shower, finished with handmade Portuguese tiles in a grey tone. The suite also has a walk in wardrobe.
The Whale Suite can be accessed through the main house, or directly from outside via a separate entrance leading to the terrace.
The room can be arranged with 2 single beds on request.
All suites and cottages include:
- Sweeping countryside views
- Daily invitation to Gin O’Clock for a complimentary gin & tonic for each guest
- In-room fridge with complimentary local beers, soft drinks and water
- In room tea and coffee making facilities
- Complimentary WIFI
- Ensuite bathroom with rain shower
- King sized bed with natural material mattress and soft cotton bed linen (option for 2 single beds on request)
- Exclusive digital guide to the island
- Concierge services for booking tours and restaurants
- Air conditioning and ceiling fan
- Hairdryer, iron and safe
- Eco reporting from stay
- Our initiatives go beyond typical eco-approaches such as recycling and using solar power (these are of course part of our operations)
- We are using an innovative system for monitoring resource usage at individual guest level, giving guests real time visibility of their usage via their mobile phones, and helping and encouraging them to use only what they need. As part of this, we have fitted individual electricity and water meters to each unit.
- The Solar Branco Eco Estate will donate resulting savings from reduced energy and water usage to The Ocean Azores Foundation to support marine conservation
- The estate’s other initiatives to support the foundation include donations from sales of our in-house gin range, Ghosts of The Ocean
- Our buildings and infrastructure are being planned with consideration given to landscape and natural heritage. We are using local materials and sustainable design as much as we can and focusing on endemic plants for our landscaping.
- We focus on local products and partnering with local entrepreneurs
- We share information with guests on how to enjoy Azorean nature in a sustainable way
- The Green Pantry, our dining room, seating up to 60 theatre style and up to 40 for meals
- The Green Pantry terrace, a covered outdoor area by our dining room, seating up to 30 for meals
- The Gin Library, home of our famous gin collection, standing space for up to 16 people
- The Gin Library terrace, an uncovered outdoor area outside The Gin Library, seating up to 24 people
- Senhor Raposa’s Secret Drinking Den, our hidden bar accessed through The Gin Library, with sushi bar, seating up to 20 people for meals
BIG DREAMY BEDS*
Perfectly located a short 5-minute drive to Ponta Delgada. Breathe in the clear Atlantic air as you walk through the citrus-inspired gardens. Take in the view over green hills to the ocean beyond. Hideout, forage, think in peace. Enjoy this beautiful heritage home, built over 100 years ago, lovingly restored and brought back to life. Sleep in big, dreamy beds. Hike, run, read. Relax. Put your phone down. Laugh out loud. Dream. Enjoy life with those around you.
*Beds (and Gin) are key to a great holiday in the Azores