The Pigsties take their name from the stone pig pens that previously occupied the site they are built on.
The Pigsties are to the east of the main house and are part of a row of 3 cottages (the other one is The Barn). Each has a total area of 42sqm. Externally the upper part of the building is clad in white-washed wood panels, and the lower part in volcanic stone tiles.
On the ground floor is the lounge with double height ceilings, and a separate kitchenette with dining table, and the bathroom. In front of each Pigsty is a semi-private terrace, with outdoor seating.
The lounge furniture includes a sofa and armchair, and a sideboard made from recycled wood by a local social enterprise.
The kitchenette features a raw edge wooden dining table made by a local artisan, and 2 dining chairs. It is fitted with a microwave, hob, sink and fridge. Your fridge is restocked daily with complimentary local beers, soft drinks and water, and you also have tea and coffee making facilities on hand.
The bedroom is on a mezzanine level with views from the window to the countryside and ocean beyond. A 180cm (6 foot) wide king size bed awaits you, with a sumptuous mattress made from all-natural material, and luxury cotton bed linen, to help regulate body temperature and ensure a comfortable night’s sleep.
Your bathroom has high end fittings, with WC, sink and rain shower, finished with handmade Portuguese tiles in a pink tone referencing the pigs that once lived on the site.
The bedroom can be arranged with 2 single beds on request.
All suites and cottages include:
- Sweeping countryside views
- Daily invitation to Gin O’Clock for a complimentary gin & tonic for each guest
- In-room fridge with complimentary local beers, soft drinks and water
- In room tea and coffee making facilities
- Complimentary WIFI
- Ensuite bathroom with rain shower
- King sized bed with natural material mattress and soft cotton bed linen (option for 2 single beds on request)
- Exclusive digital guide to the island
- Concierge services for booking tours and restaurants
- Air conditioning and ceiling fan
- Hairdryer, iron and safe
- Eco reporting from stay
- Our initiatives go beyond typical eco-approaches such as recycling and using solar power (these are of course part of our operations)
- We are using an innovative system for monitoring resource usage at individual guest level, giving guests real time visibility of their usage via their mobile phones, and helping and encouraging them to use only what they need. As part of this, we have fitted individual electricity and water meters to each unit.
- The Solar Branco Eco Estate will donate resulting savings from reduced energy and water usage to The Ocean Azores Foundation to support marine conservation
- The estate’s other initiatives to support the foundation include donations from sales of our in-house brand Baleia Gin
- Our buildings and infrastructure are being planned with consideration given to landscape and natural heritage. We are using local materials and sustainable design as much as we can and focusing on endemic plants for our landscaping.
- We focus on local products and partnering with local entrepreneurs
- We share information with guests on how to enjoy Azorean nature in a sustainable way
- The Green Pantry, our dining room, seating up to 60 theatre style and up to 40 for meals
- The Green Pantry terrace, a covered outdoor area by our dining room, seating up to 30 for meals
- The Gin Library, home of our famous gin collection, standing space for up to 16 people
- The Gin Library terrace, an uncovered outdoor area outside The Gin Library, seating up to 24 people
- Senhor Raposa’s Secret Drinking Den, our hidden bar accessed through The Gin Library, with sushi bar, seating up to 20 people for meals
BIG DREAMY BEDS*
Perfectly located a short 5-minute drive to Ponta Delgada. Breathe in the clear Atlantic air as you walk through the citrus-inspired gardens. Take in the view over green hills to the ocean beyond. Hideout, forage, think in peace. Enjoy this beautiful heritage home, built over 100 years ago, lovingly restored and brought back to life. Sleep in big, dreamy beds. Hike, run, read. Relax. Put your phone down. Laugh out loud. Dream. Enjoy life with those around you.
*Beds (and Gin) are key to a great holiday in the Azores