This 2 storey cottage was an abandoned farm building that stood as a ruin for several decades before being thoughtfully brought back to life. It stands alone to the west of the main house and has a total area of 60sqm.
Built in volcano stone, it is a very Azorean style building. The entrance is on the upper floor, with an open plan lounge and kitchenette. This room has a huge south facing window, framing the sweeping views of the countryside and ocean beyond.
The furniture includes a large sofa, a raw edge wooden dining table made by a local artisan, and a sideboard made from recycled wood by a local social enterprise.
Off the lounge is a south facing terrace, perfect for enjoying dinner or drinks as the sun sets in the distance.
The kitchenette is fitted with a microwave, hob, sink and fridge. Your fridge is restocked daily with complimentary local beers, soft drinks and water, and you also have tea and coffee making facilities on hand.
Downstairs is the bedroom and bathroom. A 180cm (6 foot) wide king size bed awaits you, with a sumptuous mattress made from all-natural material, and luxury cotton bed linen, to help regulate body temperature and ensure a comfortable night’s sleep. In front of the bedroom is a private terrace, and at the side, a unique internal garden. This private space provides a cool spot to sit and relax, and has an outdoor shower.
Your bathroom has high end fittings, with WC, sink and rain shower, finished with handmade Portuguese tiles in an orange tone referencing the orange groves that once dominated the local landscape.
All suites and cottages include:
- Sweeping countryside views
- Daily invitation to Gin O’Clock for a complimentary gin & tonic for each guest
- In-room fridge with complimentary local beers, soft drinks and water
- In room tea and coffee making facilities
- Complimentary WIFI
- Ensuite bathroom with rain shower
- King sized bed with natural material mattress and soft cotton bed linen (option for 2 single beds on request)
- Exclusive digital guide to the island
- Concierge services for booking tours and restaurants
- Air conditioning and ceiling fan
- Hairdryer, iron and safe
- Eco reporting from stay
- Our initiatives go beyond typical eco-approaches such as recycling and using solar power (these are of course part of our operations)
- We are using an innovative system for monitoring resource usage at individual guest level, giving guests real time visibility of their usage via their mobile phones, and helping and encouraging them to use only what they need. As part of this, we have fitted individual electricity and water meters to each unit.
- The Solar Branco Eco Estate will donate resulting savings from reduced energy and water usage to The Ocean Azores Foundation to support marine conservation
- The estate’s other initiatives to support the foundation include donations from sales of our in-house gin range, Ghosts of The Ocean
- Our buildings and infrastructure are being planned with consideration given to landscape and natural heritage. We are using local materials and sustainable design as much as we can and focusing on endemic plants for our landscaping.
- We focus on local products and partnering with local entrepreneurs
- We share information with guests on how to enjoy Azorean nature in a sustainable way
- The Green Pantry, our dining room, seating up to 60 theatre style and up to 40 for meals
- The Green Pantry terrace, a covered outdoor area by our dining room, seating up to 30 for meals
- The Gin Library, home of our famous gin collection, standing space for up to 16 people
- The Gin Library terrace, an uncovered outdoor area outside The Gin Library, seating up to 24 people
- Senhor Raposa’s Secret Drinking Den, our hidden bar accessed through The Gin Library, with sushi bar, seating up to 20 people for meals
BIG DREAMY BEDS*
Perfectly located a short 5-minute drive to Ponta Delgada. Breathe in the clear Atlantic air as you walk through the citrus-inspired gardens. Take in the view over green hills to the ocean beyond. Hideout, forage, think in peace. Enjoy this beautiful heritage home, built over 100 years ago, lovingly restored and brought back to life. Sleep in big, dreamy beds. Hike, run, read. Relax. Put your phone down. Laugh out loud. Dream. Enjoy life with those around you.
*Beds (and Gin) are key to a great holiday in the Azores