The Barn is a 2 storey cottage built on the site that previously housed an old farmyard storage shed.
The Barn is to the east of the main house and is the first in a row of 3 cottages (the other 2 are the West Pigsty and East Pigsty). It has a total area of 42sqm. Externally the upper part of the building is clad in white-washed wood panels, and the lower part in volcanic stone tiles.
The entrance is on the upper floor, with an open plan lounge and kitchenette. This room has 2 south facing windows, offering views of the countryside and ocean beyond.
The furniture includes a large sofa, a raw edge wooden dining table made by a local artisan, and a sideboard made from recycled wood by a local social enterprise.
The kitchenette is fitted with a microwave, hob, sink and fridge. Your fridge is restocked daily with complimentary local beers, soft drinks and water, and you also have tea and coffee making facilities on hand.
Downstairs is the bedroom and bathroom. A 180cm (6 foot) wide king size bed awaits you, with a sumptuous mattress made from all-natural material, and luxury cotton bed linen, to help regulate body temperature and ensure a comfortable night’s sleep.
In front of the bedroom is a semi-private terrace, with outdoor seating.
Your bathroom has high end fittings, with WC, sink and rain shower, finished with handmade Portuguese tiles in a pink tone referencing the pigs that once lived next door to The Barn.
All suites and cottages include:
- Sweeping countryside views
- Daily invitation to Gin O’Clock for a complimentary gin & tonic for each guest
- In-room fridge with complimentary local beers, soft drinks and water
- In room tea and coffee making facilities
- Complimentary WIFI
- Ensuite bathroom with rain shower
- King sized bed with natural material mattress and soft cotton bed linen (option for 2 single beds on request)
- Exclusive digital guide to the island
- Concierge services for booking tours and restaurants
- Air conditioning and ceiling fan
- Hairdryer, iron and safe
- Eco reporting from stay
- Our initiatives go beyond typical eco-approaches such as recycling and using solar power (these are of course part of our operations)
- We are using an innovative system for monitoring resource usage at individual guest level, giving guests real time visibility of their usage via their mobile phones, and helping and encouraging them to use only what they need. As part of this, we have fitted individual electricity and water meters to each unit.
- The Solar Branco Eco Estate will donate resulting savings from reduced energy and water usage to The Ocean Azores Foundation to support marine conservation
- The estate’s other initiatives to support the foundation include donations from sales of our in-house gin range, Ghosts of The Ocean
- Our buildings and infrastructure are being planned with consideration given to landscape and natural heritage. We are using local materials and sustainable design as much as we can and focusing on endemic plants for our landscaping.
- We focus on local products and partnering with local entrepreneurs
- We share information with guests on how to enjoy Azorean nature in a sustainable way
- The Green Pantry, our dining room, seating up to 60 theatre style and up to 40 for meals
- The Green Pantry terrace, a covered outdoor area by our dining room, seating up to 30 for meals
- The Gin Library, home of our famous gin collection, standing space for up to 16 people
- The Gin Library terrace, an uncovered outdoor area outside The Gin Library, seating up to 24 people
- Senhor Raposa’s Secret Drinking Den, our hidden bar accessed through The Gin Library, with sushi bar, seating up to 20 people for meals
BIG DREAMY BEDS*
Perfectly located a short 5-minute drive to Ponta Delgada. Breathe in the clear Atlantic air as you walk through the citrus-inspired gardens. Take in the view over green hills to the ocean beyond. Hideout, forage, think in peace. Enjoy this beautiful heritage home, built over 100 years ago, lovingly restored and brought back to life. Sleep in big, dreamy beds. Hike, run, read. Relax. Put your phone down. Laugh out loud. Dream. Enjoy life with those around you.
*Beds (and Gin) are key to a great holiday in the Azores